Pitot tube mount (repair)

Total hours: 1052.5
Pitot tube repair: 1.0 hours (time applied to “wing wiring”).

When I mounted the pitot tube (see here) I had an issue where I needed to re-tap two holes in the pitot to a bigger size. I always hated this – it’s just not elegant. So I decided to try a product called JB Weld (see here) which is a steel reinforced epoxy. I mixed a small amount and filled in the holes in the pitot I had messed up. After the epoxy cured I sanded and re-tapped the holes correctly. Seems to be working nicely.

Pitot repaired
Pitot repaired
Pitot repaired
Pitot repaired
Advertisements

Wing Wiring & Plumbing

Total Hours: 862.2 hours
Since last time: 48.9 hours
Wing wiring and plumbing: 48.9 hours

Diverted from the flaps to do the wing wiring while the primer was shipped and just continued until the wiring and pitot plumbing was complete. More than 75% of my time was spent on the pitot plumbing. I positioned the pitot where the plans has it. However the plans also calls for a simple VFR pitot and running fixed aluminum lines to the pitot tube. I elected to use the Dynon heated pitot/AOA. And in addition I wanted to easily be able to remove the pitot and reinstall for maintenance. This became a real problem because the pitot position in the plans is inboard of the aileron bell-crank. This means the plumbing has to be routed away from the aileron push tube or else it will interfere. I tried many different ideas (and considered even more). I am happy with the solution I settled on. However, I am not happy with the job I did mounting the pitot tube in the Gretz mast. I had trouble aligning and tapping the holes in the pitot to the holes in the mount. The holes in the mount were already enlarged to #18 or #19 and the holes to be tapped in the pitot are #36. (for a #6 screw). Two lined up fine. But two I had to drill out and re-tap for a #8 screw. Then I made the mistake of trying to countersink the holes in the mount and completely messed them up. I ordered a new mount and will not be countersinking the new one. I don’t care if it doesn’t look as good as it could. It’s expensive and I don’t want to order a third.

The aileron trim wires were connected to the wing wiring with D-Sub pins and sockets without any housings. I heat-shrinked strain relief on each connection, then heat shrunk over each connector and then heat-shrunk over the entire thing and secured it.

The wing tips and roll servo are set up with 9-pin CPC connectors.

The antenna lines are fixed at the wing-tip with a female panel mount BNC connector as seen in the pictures.