Total: 1019.6 hours
Since Last time: 40.1 hours
Mid fuse ribs & bottom skins: 40.1 hours
We broke the 1000 hour mark on the build. No significant issues on the build (only a little scare which I’ll explain later). Standard stuff: debur edges, cleco together, drill holes, disassemble, debur holes, reassemble, and rivet. Oh, and I decided to prime the skins where they attach to the structure. Other than that we’re following the plans and having a good time – and running out of space in the garage. Hopefully we’ll be able to get a shed up in the near future to alleviate the garage congestion.
The following series of pictures are a little scare I had. The assembly attached to this gusset pitcured below bent one way and then back again and caused a discoloration in the gusset. I was afraid I would have to drill out these rivets and replace the gusset. Note that the rivets are in a tight spot. After some back-n-forth with Vans they thought the discoloration was caused by the flange of the rib pictured above the gusset in the picture. This was confirmed after I removed a bunch of rivets and watched the rib swing in hitting the gusset in precisely the area discolored. If it had been real damage (i.e., a serious weakening of the gusset from the bend), I believe the discoloration would have been across the entire thing not just directly under the flange of the rib. In the end, I did not drill out the rivets and am being extremely cautious not to let this arm bend again.