Main gear mounts (repair)

Total hours: 1051.5
Main gear mounts repair: 5 hours – (time applied to mid-fuse bulkheads)

Two holes in each of the main gear mounts were bugging me. When I first drilled them (see here) the mounts each pulled away while I drilled the holes and I didn’t realize it had happened until I inserted the bolts to test fit and they wouldn’t go through. They were so close that I just drilled them again. Each hole was slightly enlarged but I thought it was OK. Afterward I decided I just wasn’t satisfied with this so today I brought the mounts to Ralph Hoovers shop (EAA tech. counselor) and he welded the holes closed for me so I could re-drill them – which I did today. And then primed and painted them, too, where the powder coat was sanded away.

Special thanks (again) to Ralph Hoover for helping me correct a mistake. Thanks Ralph!

Ralph corrects my error
Ralph corrects my error
Ralph corrects my error
Ralph corrects my error
Main gear mounts like new
Main gear mounts like new
Advertisements

Mid Fuse Bulkheads

Total: 979.5 hours
Since last time: 20.2 hours
Mid Fuse Bulkheads; 20.2 hours

No surprises. The only thing of note is that I have decided not to prime the alclad parts in the fuse kit. I’m only going to prime the non-alclad parts. The seems to be a pretty common thing among builders. It’ll save a lot of time and some money and the risk of corrosion inside the fuse is minimal to begin with.

The mid-fuse bulkheads are assembled. (note: see update here)