Baggage floor panel

Total hours: 1392.7 hours
Baggage compartment: 88.1 hours
Extra access panel: 2.5 hours

As mentioned here before (click here) I was planning on putting in an access panel on the baggage floor on the right side. I had to do this because there was a rivet that needed to be replaced on the right side and I was unable to retrieve the shop head. So to get it, I cut an access panel. Once cut, retrieving the rivet tail was no problem. And all in all I’m glad to have a panel on both sides. It would have been easier had I done this before installing the floor, but it wasn’t terribly hard either. It’ll be painted when the whole baggage area gets painted in the coming weeks.

 

Advertisements

Baggage Compartment

Total: 1376.8 hours
Baggage Compartment: 85.6 hours

The baggage compartment took a LOT longer to accomplish than I expected. This is mostly because I decided to run all the fore/aft wiring now before the baggage floors were in place. In addition to the wiring there is an empty 3/4 conduit on each side for any future wiring that may be required. Running the wire required making several home-made adel-like clamps and two antenna doublers for antennas positioned under the rear passenger seats. In place is the following:

Left side:

  • power and ground cables from the battery area to the firewall.
  • wire-pair for the main contactor
  • multi-conductor wire for rear nav-lights/beacon
  • empty conduit for pitot and AOA lines.
  • RG-400 to area under left rear seat for belly comm antenna.

Right side:

  • RG-400 to area under right seat for (extra) belly comm antenna for portable radio
  • 3 RG-400 lines to rear for ADS-B (in), top comm antenna, and Marker beacon
  • Dynon network cable for ADAHRS units and A/P pitch servo (through hub)
  • multi-conductor wire for Elevator trim servo
  • multi-conductor wire for ELT
  • A static pressure line to run aft/fore for an alternate static source
  • Empty conduit for future wiring

A few re-dos in the mix, but no serious issues. Most of the time was spent figuring out how to run the wires and then running them and securing them with homemade clamps. In two areas where the wire routes were along side the right side skin, I used some wire-tie mounts. But I didn’t use them as is. I first removed entirely the sticky stuff on the back of the mounts. Behind the right baggage panel I secured these mounts to the side skin with pro-seal. “Conveniently” I have no picture of the result. No matter how much I use pro-seal, I never fail to make a mess. In the area just forward of this I also used the same idea but this time I used a two-part epoxy to secure the mounts to the side skin. I then used some wire-ties to secure the wire bundle to the mount. This part looks very neat, I’m happy to say. Also, a lot of time was spend making the antenna doublers for the belly antennas.

I also decided to use the stall warning access panel (which was not used in the wing since I’m using AOA instead of the standard stall warning vane) in the rear left baggage floor as an access to the step bolt. I felt the left side was important because the bolt is installed at an angle and if the step needs to be removed there would be no other way to get at the bolts. I thought no need for the right side.┬áThen while riveting the left floor I had to remove a rivet and had to use the access panel to get the tail end of the rivet. Sadly, while riveting a panel on the right side I had the same rivet problem. I drilled out a rivet and tried in vain to reach the tail end under the floor with magnets and mirrors through the lightening holes. Reluctantly I realized the only way to get the tail out of there would be through an access panel. So I ordered the same access panel and doubler I used on the left side and will carefully install it in the right side baggage floor. No way I can leave that bit of loose metal under there. … And then I’ll be really done with the baggage area.

And also had a nice flight with Ralph Hoover in his RV-7a in and around the Warrenton, VA area.